A lot of members of the institute are using a software called geneious to analyse DNA-data. We have 6 licenses which are only compatible with the version 6.1.8 (you can get this old version here). The server providing the licenses is Beagle. Additionally to the license server, Beagle is running a mysql server, which provides the shared database for all geneious-users at the institute.
Setting up a Geneious client
- Download the macOS-client. Double click the .dmg to mount it.
- Copy the Geneious.app to your Applications directory. Start Geneious. At the window which popped up click Activate a license. Click on Use floating license server. Now enter the credentials you got from the administrator.
- Download the Windows-client
- Double click the .exe and click through the installer. When it’s finished start Geneious, a window will pop up. Click on Activate a license. Click on Use floating license server. Now enter the credentials you got from the administrator.
- Download the Linux-client
- Run it with:
sudo bash ~/Downloads/Geneious_linux64_6_1_8_with_jre.shand click through the suggested parameter.
- Now type geneious into the search and start it. At the window which popped up click Activate a license. Click on Use floating license server. Now enter the credentials you got from the administrator.
Log into the shared Database
- Start Geneious and right click onto Shared Database on the left hand side and click Connect to a set up database.
- Type into the username, password, Host. The database-name is geneiousDB and the Port 3306. For the database vendor choose MySQL. Then click on More Options and click the Browse button behind “Driver .jar file:” choose this file.
- Click “Ok”, you are now connected to the shared database.
Set up the Geneious License Server (Beagle)
This Tutorial will guide you from the start to set up the geneious license server on a completely new machine. It requires you in the first place to create a virtual machine with Debian Jessie. Jessie because in the later releases, software which is required by the geneious license server was removed from Debian. So you need an Debian running a 3.X Kernel. It is recommended to use a virtual machine.
Inside of the Debian stable VM you need to download the server software:
Then start the script with root priveleages. During the installing process you will be asked for the license key. It is located in our KeePassX-database. All other option can be left at default. The license-server is now installed in
Setup the mysql database-server
export the old database
set some value higher